This burse is part of a set of ecclesiastical vestments embroidered within the convent of the Sisters of Charity for use in their own chapel. A burse holds the plain linen used on the altar during Mass.
Burse of woven silk and metal thread, with central embroidered panel showing the Virgin and Child with halos and radiating rays contained within an eight-sided cartouche with heads of putti in each corner with inscriptions 'Adoremus', 'In Eternam', 'Sancissimus' and 'Sacrementum'. The edge of the central composition has a repeating design of stars in metal pearl and seed pearls with corner decorations of garnet-coloured stones. The back of the burse and opening flaps are of the same damask as the ground of the burse and the matching chasuble (T.65-2004). The burse is edged with olive green coloured braid. It has a plain white cotton lining.
Silk and metal thread ground with embroidery in silk, gold thread, semi-precious stones, seed pearls, woven braid and cord. Embroidered in a range of stitches including long and short, stem and couching.
Burse, woven silk and metal, designer JD Sedding, makers Sisters of Charity, Bristol, 1880-1890